LAKE JANE. Lake Jane was a small inland body of water just north of State Highway 90A and five miles northeast of Richmond in north central Fort Bend County. The lake was probably named for Jane Wilkins, who acquired the land as one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundredqqv colonists. Flat to rolling prairie and grasses surround the lake. Residents have so heavily terraced and dammed the lake that it no longer exhibits its natural contours. Lake Jane was on the Fort Bend County land grant map of 1898, but by 1936 it no longer appeared as such on county maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LAKE JANE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rol45), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.