Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

LAKE KURTH

LAKE KURTH. Lake Kurth is on the Angelina River eight miles north of Lufkin, at the northern edge of Angelina County (at 31°27' N, 94°42' W). It is operated by Southland Paper Mills (see SOUTHLAND CORPORATION) to store industrial water. The 770-acre lake has a conservation storage capacity of 16,200 acre-feet at the spillway crest elevation of 197.5 feet above mean sea level. Building of the lake began in May 1959 and was finished in July 1961. Water for Lake Kurth is pumped from the Angelina River and from Striker Creek Reservoir, and most is eventually returned to the Angelina River.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

C. L. Dowell, Dams and Reservoirs in Texas: History and Descriptive Information (Texas Water Commission Bulletin 6408 [Austin, 1964]).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"LAKE KURTH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rol48), accessed April 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.