LAKE LEON (PECOS COUNTY)
LAKE LEON (Pecos County). Lake Leon, also called Leon Springs Reservoir, is a tank a half mile south of Interstate 10 and eight miles west of Fort Stockton in central Pecos County (at 30°54' N, 103°00' W). It was built at Leon Springs for agricultural irrigation. The lake is two miles long and a half mile wide; it covers 381 surface acres and has a capacity of 3,200 acre-feet. Heavy pumping of the aquifer caused the springs to stop flowing by 1958. Area rainfall drains into the lake from Acebuche Draw on the southwest and from Leon Creek on the northeast. The lake is surrounded by dissected flat and steep to gently sloping desert terrain of calichified bedrock, alluvial deposits of sand and gravel, and windblown sand. The land surface includes light reddish-brown to brown sands, clay loams and clays, and rough stony ground. Area vegetation consists primarily of scrub brush, oak, juniper, mesquite, and grasses. Long before the expedition of Juan Domínguez de Mendoza found the springs in 1684, Indians used the springwater. The springs became a stop on the old Spanish road from San Antonio to El Paso. In 1870 George B. Lyles and his eight children farmed near the springs. A community of 124 people developed there and became known as Lylesville. Francisco Baron was the town blacksmith. A. J. Royal established a farm nearby in 1891. In the 1920s and 1930s Lake Leon was a popular recreational spot. A clubhouse was built there for dancing, and fishing was an important pastime.
Pecos County Historical Commission, Pecos County History (2 vols., Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LAKE LEON (PECOS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rol49), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.