LAKE NOCONA. Lake Nocona, also known as Farmers Creek Reservoir, is formed by a dam on Farmers Creek about six miles northeast of Nocona in northeastern Montague County (at 33°52' N, 97°39' W). It is owned and operated by the North Montague County Water Supply District. Construction on the dam for the reservoir began in September 1959 and was completed in October 1960. Lake Nocona was constructed for municipal, industrial, and mining purposes. The elevation of the lake is 827 feet above mean sea level; it has a capacity of 25,400 acre-feet and a surface area of 1,470 acres. At the second-level spillway its capacity increases to 40,000 acre-feet, and its surface area is 1,920 acres. The drainage area above the dam is ninety-four square miles.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LAKE NOCONA," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rol60), accessed December 12, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.