LAKE O' THE PINES
LAKE O' THE PINES. Ferrells Bridge Dam and Lake O' the Pines are on Cypress Creek nine miles west of Jefferson in western Marion and northwestern Harrison counties (at 32°47' N, 94°35' W). The project is owned by the United States government and operated by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, Fort Worth District. The lake is used for flood control, water and wildlife conservation, and recreational purposes. Construction of the dam was begun in January 1955 and was completed on December 11, 1959. The reservoir is formed by an earthfill dam 10,600 feet long. The crest of the spillway is 249.5 feet above mean sea level, and the conservation storage capacity is 250,000 acre-feet with a surface of 18,680 acres. The flood control storage space is 587,200 square feet. The drainage area above the dam is approximately 850 square miles.
C. L. Dowell and R. G. Petty, Engineering Data on Dams and Reservoirs in Texas (Texas Water Development Board Report 126 [3 pts., Austin, 1971–74]).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Seth D. Breeding, "LAKE O' THE PINES," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rol62), accessed August 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.