LAKE PAULINE. Lake Pauline is three miles southeast of Quanah in east central Hardeman County (at 34°15' N, 99°40' W). It was formed by a private dam on Wanderers Creek. It is owned by West Texas Utilities Company and used for recreational and industrial purposes. The earth dam, completed in 1905, impounds a normal capacity of 7,000 acre-feet and a maximum capacity of 18,000 acre-feet. The dam is twenty-four feet high with a spillway of 1,190 feet. The surrounding variable terrain is surfaced by shallow, stony clay loams that support juniper, oak, chaparral, grass, and cacti.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LAKE PAULINE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rol66), accessed April 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.