MARLIN CITY LAKE
MARLIN CITY LAKE. The original Marlin City Lake was formed in 1922 when an earthfill dam was constructed on Big Sandy Creek three miles northeast of Marlin (at 31°21' N, 96°52' W). The dam was twenty-one feet high and 1,750 feet long and had a maximum storage capacity of 3,135 acre-feet. The project was owned and operated by the City of Marlin and was used for both municipal and domestic water supply. In 1948 a second dam was built a mile downstream to form New City Lake. The new dam was fifty feet high and 2,000 feet long and had a maximum storage capacity of 7,221 acre-feet. In 1990 the city of Marlin had plans to build a new reservoir in the Brushy Creek area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MARLIN CITY LAKE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rom03), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.