SHAFTER LAKE. Shafter Lake is 7½ miles northwest of Andrews in northern Andrews County (at 32°24' N, 102°39' W). The bed of the shallow salt lake is composed primarily of quartz, sand, gravel, and clay substrate with sandy loam soil characteristics. Scrub brush, mesquite, and grasses grow around the lake, which was named for Gen. William R. Shafter. The first townsite in Andrews County was laid out on the south side of Shafter Lake in 1908 and abandoned following a 1910 election that chose Andrews as the county seat.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SHAFTER LAKE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ros09), accessed May 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.