ALLISON SPRING. Allison Spring is 100 yards east of the Pecos River in northwestern Loving County (at 31°55' N, 103°54' W). Since Red Bluff Reservoir was built in 1936 the spring has usually been covered by its waters. The area is surrounded by deposits of gravel, sand, and silt. The surrounding desert terrain is flat to rolling with locally steep slopes and active sand dunes. Soils are dark chocolate-red clay and fine sandy loam. Area vegetation consists of desert shrubs, mesquite, sage, salt cedar, and sparse grasses. Allison Spring offered fresh water to prehistoric Indians, who left behind projectile points, manos, and metates. In 1583 the entrada of Lt. Antonio de Espejo traveled along the Pecos near the spring. Capt. John Pope and his surveying expedition came to the area in 1854 and reported a spring of fine water located 100 yards from the east bank of the Pecos. Pope made his camp at the spring and drilled unsuccessfully for artesian wells. After he left the area, the Butterfield Overland Mail operated a way station at the spring. In the mid-1880s Clay Allisonqv established the headquarters of his ranch at the spring and gave it his name.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981). Robert W. Dunn, The History of Loving County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1948; condensed in West Texas Historical Association Year Book, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ALLISON SPRING," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rpa05), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.