BOWLES SPRINGS. Bowles Springs is three miles northwest of Alto in southern Cherokee County (at 31°41' N, 95°06' W). The springs were named for Chief Bowl, the leader of a band of Cherokees who lived in the area from 1819 to 1839. A treaty that assigned the land along the Angelina River to the Cherokees was signed by Sam Houston and Chief Bowl at the springs in 1837. The treaty, however, was rejected by the Republic of Texas Senate, and shortly thereafter President Mirabeau B. Lamar ordered the Indians to leave Texas. When the Cherokees chose to fight rather than leave, many of them were killed, including Bowl. A granite monument now marks the site of the Indian village. The flow from the springs was measured at a rate of 1½ quarts per second in November 1979. The surrounding terrain is rolling to flat and is surfaced by sandy and clay loams that support mixed hardwoods and pines.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Gunnar Brune, "BOWLES SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rpb06), accessed December 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.