CAT SPRING. Cat Spring is in Cat Spring, Texas, in Austin County (at 29°51' N, 96°20' W). The area was settled in 1835 by Franz Ferdinand Albrecht von Roeder and his brothers. Before European-Americans moved into the area wildcats were numerous in the woods around the spring. The first night the Roeders camped at the spring a wildcat came to drink, and some sources indicate that the cat was shot and killed by one of the Roeder boys. Thus arose the name Katzenquelle, later known as Wildcat Spring, and finally shortened to Cat Spring. The springwaters rise from Willis sand. In 1978 the rate of flow was 0.72 liters per second.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Gunnar Brune, "CAT SPRING," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rpc08), accessed January 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.