COYOTE SPRINGS. Coyote Springs, also called Indian Springs, was seven miles south of the New Mexico state line in northeastern Loving County (at 31°54' N, 103°29' W). The springs flowed from red sandstone overlain by Quaternary sands and gravels. The surrounding desert terrain is flat to rolling, covered by sheets and dunes of silt and sand and by Triassic deposits of shale, siltstone, sandstone, and gravel. Soil of the area is brownish-red loamy fine sand in depths of eight to twelve inches. Local vegetation includes small mesquite, yucca, bear grass, and sparse range grasses. The springs were at one time called Indian Springs for the Lipan village located there in the mid-eighteenth century. Two Christianized Indians, Francisco Romero and Joseph Antonio Miraval, stopped at the springs in 1763 and reported that Lipans were living there. In 1893 the Johnson brothers established a ranch on land around the springs. During the twentieth century farmers and ranchers sank wells and sapped the water table, and the springs ran dry.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."COYOTE SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rpc10), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.