FORT RICHARDSON SPRINGS
FORT RICHARDSON SPRINGS. The Fort Richardson Springs are a group of strongly flowing freshwater springs on Lost Creek near Jacksboro in Jack County (at 33°12' N, 98°10' W). The springs flow from cavities in the Cisco limestone at an elevation of 1,082 feet above sea level. They provided water for the fort that was at a site nearby from 1866 to 1878. Individual springs in this group are called Murphy, Rumbling, McConnell, Stone, and Dennis. On May 11, 1979, the combined flow from the springs was more than eleven gallons per second. In recent years the water has occasionally become contaminated from human activities in the area.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Gunnar Brune, "FORT RICHARDSON SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rpf01), accessed October 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.