HAM'S HOLE. Ham's Hole is a natural spring at the head of Ham Creek 5½ miles east of Cleburne State Recreational Park in southwestern Johnson County. George W. Kendall mentioned it in his account of the Texan Santa Fe expedition and David Porter Smythe, who visited the site in 1852, called the 150-foot-long and thirty-foot-wide limestone pot-hole a "very remarkable natural reservoir." The ledge from which the spring rises resembles an immense bathtub. Ham's Hole was a popular picnic and camping spot around 1900.
George Wilkins Kendall, Narrative of the Texan Santa Fe Expedition (2 vols., New York: Harper, 1844; rpts. Austin: Steck, 1935; n.p.: Readex, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HAM'S HOLE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rph01), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.