HANCOCK SPRINGS. The Hancock Springs are a group of springs in Hancock Park in southwestern Lampasas, Lampasas County (at 31°03' N, 98°11' W). The Spaniard Juan Antonio Bustillo y Cevallos probably stopped at the springs in 1732. Lampasas grew up around the springs in the 1850s and still obtains its water supply from them. In the 1880s the springs gained fame as a health resort. Their water flows from cavernous Marble Falls limestone, and their average flow from 1886 to 1975 was about seventy gallons per second.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).