LYTTON SPRINGS. The Lytton Springs are just south of the Lytton Springs community in southern Caldwell County (at 30°30' N, 97°37' W). They may have served as campsites for Isidro Félix de Espinosa and Antonio de San Buenaventura Olivaresqqv in 1709 and for Domingo Ramón in 1716. The springs were named for John Litton, who brought his cattle to graze in the region in the 1840s. The flow of the springs was reduced as the population increased and pumping wells came into use, and though a pond was dug to help keep the springs, only a few seeps remained in the early 1980s.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981). Mark Withers Trail Drive Museum, Historical Caldwell County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LYTTON SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rpl02), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.