PERSIMMON SPRINGS. Persimmon Springs, also known as Cimarron Springs or Cameron Springs, is seven miles south-southeast of Archer City in south central Archer County (at 33°27' N, 98°39' W). The springs appear under the name Cimarron Springs on a number of early maps, including G. L. Gillespie's Map of Portions of Texas, New Mexico, and Indian Territory (1875), and Rand McNally's Map of Texas and Indian Territory (1883). Randolph B. Marcy, who escorted a group of settlers from Fort Smith to Santa Fe, stopped at the springs in 1849; the Marcy Trail, which he later laid out across North Texas, passed by the springs. A small group of immigrants from Luxembourg established a settlement near the springs in the early 1890s, calling the springs Persimmon Springs after a persimmon tree growing nearby. The settlement failed by 1906, and rancher Sam Cowan purchased the land. In May 1979 the flow was measured at .015 gallons per second. A historical marker was placed at the springs in 1986.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jack O. Loftin, "PERSIMMON SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rppeg), accessed September 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.