RED BLUFF SPRINGS
RED BLUFF SPRINGS. The Red Bluff Springs (at 31°57' N, 103°57' W) are on the Pecos River upstream from Allison Spring in northwestern Loving County. After Red Bluff Reservoir was built in 1936, the springs issued into the lake and river. The springs are moderately saline and flow from a formation of limestone conglomerate and dolomite. The surrounding desert terrain is flat to rolling with locally steep slopes and active sand dunes. The soils are dark, chocolate-red clays and fine sandy loams and support desert shrubs, small mesquites, sages, salt cedar, and sparse grasses. Killifish, brine shrimp, and turtles are found in the waters of the area. The springs were named for the Red Bluff Dam, which acquired its name from a red bluff in New Mexico where it was to be built originally. This spring and the others in Loving County were used by people of an earlier time who left behind projectile points, metates, and manos.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."RED BLUFF SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rpr04), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.