SILVER SPRINGS. Silver Springs is a group of springs that empty into Silver Lake sixteen miles northeast of Morton on the Cochran-Hockley county line (at 33°48' N, 102°37' W). The largest of the Silver Springs emerges on the Jack McCutchin Ranch in Cochran County; its flow was measured at 0.63 liters per second in April 1978, but the flow during dry periods is negligible. Other smaller springs are located in Hockley County. Salt cedars, cattails, and rushes surround them. As early as 15,000 years ago, Paleo-Indians are believed to have driven mammoths and bison into the lake, where they became stuck and could be easily slaughtered. The springs were probably visited in 1541 by Pedro de Castañeda and men from Francisco Vásquez de Coronado's army. Heavy irrigation pumping in the area has lowered the water table considerably in recent years, and the springs have become dry with increasing frequency.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Gunnar Brune, "SILVER SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rps08), accessed December 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.