AUSTIN CAVERNS. Austin Caverns, a series of caves on Meredith Street in northwest Austin (at 30°18' N, 97°47' W) has been known since the mid-1800s. The caves were exploited commercially for a brief period in 1932 but were judged too dangerous to be open to the public. The entrance was blasted shut. Rainwater and quarrying periodically reopened the cave, requiring further blasting and filling to keep it closed. Part of the cave served as a storm-sewer drain.
BIUBLIOGRAPHY: Vertical Files, Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin (Caves).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.A. Richard Smith, "AUSTIN CAVERNS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rqa01), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.