Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BAFFIN BAY

BAFFIN BAY. Baffin Bay, also known as Lago de la Santísima Trinidad and Salt Lagoon, projects inland from Laguna Madre. Its center point is about 27°15' north and 97°31' west. The bay forms part of the eastern boundary between Kenedy and Kleberg counties. The west side of Baffin Bay connects with the mouth of Los Olmos Creek, which flows from the Laguna Salada, Cayo del Grulla, and Alazan Bay. Baffin Bay provided Confederate blockade runners with protected overland access, through the shallow Laguna Madre, to the cotton markets of Mexico. The entire south shore of Baffin Bay forms the northern boundary of the vast Kenedy Ranch (see KENEDY, MIFFLIN).

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Tom Lea, The King Ranch (2 vols., Boston: Little, Brown, 1957). Marilyn M. Sibley, "Charles Stillman," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 77 (October 1973).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"BAFFIN BAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rrb04), accessed September 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.