COX BAY. Cox Bay is an inlet bound by Lavaca Bay in northeastern Calhoun County (at 28°38' N, 96°31' W). The bay was named for Thomas Cox, who settled on the shoreline. During the 1820s and 1830s Cox Point, a peninsula that extends into the bay, served as a point of entry for American immigrants (see MEXICAN TEXAS, REPUBLIC OF TEXAS). About 1832, while in the employ of George Sutherland, early settler Samuel C. A. Rogers operated a trading post on Cox Point. Huisache Creek and Huisache Cove empty into Cox Bay northeast of Cox Point. The community of Point Comfort is on the extreme northwestern edge of the bay.
Samuel C. A. Rogers, Reminiscences, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."COX BAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rrc08), accessed December 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.