CHOCOLATE BAY. Chocolate Bay is at the mouth of Chocolate Bayou north of the west end of West Bay in Brazoria County (at 29°11' N, 95°09' W). It is crossed by the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway as it opens into West Bay. Francisco de Llanos and Gregorio de Salinas Varonaqqv entered Chocolate Bay on November 4, 1690, and explored it by canoe, after searching for René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle's colony.
A. C. Becker, Jr., "Chocolate Bay: Coastal Fishing as Sweet as Its Name," Texas Fisherman, April 1986. Herbert Eugene Bolton, "The Location of La Salle's Colony on the Gulf of Mexico," Mississippi Valley Historical Review 2 (September 1915); rpt., Southwestern Historical Quarterly 27 (January 1924).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CHOCOLATE BAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rrc15), accessed September 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.