ISLAS BLANCAS. In 1765, when Malaguita Indians from the Texas coast brought news of English intruders to San Juan Bautista, they described the invasion site as the "Islas Blancas." The reference, as it developed from the Ortiz Parrilla Gulf Coast expedition the following year, was to the white-sand barrier south of the Texas coastal bend-Padre Islandqv. Often cut by storm surge, the single island was viewed as more than one. The name Islas Blancas, however, failed to stick. With the exploration that followed, it was called San Carlos de los Malaguitas. That name appears on Diego Ortiz Parrilla's map and one drawn by Nicolás de Lafora, which leans heavily on Ortiz Parrilla's for its coastal features.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert S. Weddle, "ISLAS BLANCAS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rri04), accessed May 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.