POINT PEÑASCAL. Point Peñascal, situated in what is now Kenedy County, was the extreme point of land, sometimes cut off from the mainland, on Laguna Madre at the southeastern approach to Salt Lagoon (now Baffin Bay). Point Peñascal made up part of the region known in the nineteenth century as Rincon del Peñascal. During the Civil War the point was used by J. Ingalls and Company, wholesale merchandisers and dealers in salt, as a port in the contraband cotton trade. Confederate cotton was sometimes smuggled by boats of light draft along the Texas coast as far south as the point, where it was consigned to Mexican teamsters who hauled it overland for sale at Matamoros. In the twentieth century this jut of land became known as Griffin's Point.
Charles W. Pressler, Traveller's Map of the State of Texas (1867). José San Román Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert H. Thonhoff, "POINT PENASCAL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rrp07), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.