PORT HARLINGEN. Port Harlingen, also known as the Rio Hondo Port, is on the Arroyo Colorado and Farm Road 106, on the eastern city limits of Harlingen (at 26°56' N, 97°36' W). The channel connecting Arroyo Colorado with the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway was completed and dedicated on February 27, 1952. It is 12 feet deep and 125 feet wide and has a turning basin measuring 400 by 600 feet. By 1962 the port was handling $2.5 million in commerce. In 1983 commodity shipments amounted to 455,430 short tons, and they increased to 801,003 short tons in 1984, when the port housed ten industries with commercial leases. In 1989 Port Harlingen handled 728,954 short tons.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "PORT HARLINGEN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rrp08), accessed May 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.