RED FISH BAY
RED FISH BAY. Red Fish Bay extends five miles along the Texas coast from southern Kenedy County south to Port Mansfield in Willacy County (centered at 26°33' N, 97°25' W). It is separated from the Laguna Madre by the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. The King Ranch borders the bay north of Port Mansfield, and the coast there is known locally as the King Ranch shoreline. About 1928 the American Legion obtained from the King Ranch a long-term lease to a narrow strip of land along the coast, and several summer cottages were built there. By 1993, however, public access to the beach was no longer available. At that time Red Fish Bay was the site of some commercial crabbing, as well recreational fishing for trout and redfish.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."RED FISH BAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rrr01), accessed October 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.