PORT MANSFIELD CHANNEL
PORT MANSFIELD CHANNEL. Port Mansfield Channel is a cut through Padre Island thirty miles north of the south end of the island (at 26°34' N, 97°21' W). It is the southern boundary of Padre Island National Seashore and provides access to the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway and the fishing port at Port Mansfield. A private channel with protecting jetties was completed in September 1957 and destroyed by storms in November of the same year. The United States Army Corps of Engineers completed the present channel and protecting jetties in 1962. The channel opening also permits tidal exchange, which has nurtured a more abundant population of redfish, brown shrimp, flounder, and speckled trout, thus enhancing the sport and commercial fishing economy of Port Mansfield.
Lynn M. Alperin, Custodians of the Coast: History of the United States Army Engineers at Galveston (Galveston: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Art Leatherwood, "PORT MANSFIELD CHANNEL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rup02), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.