DAMON MOUND. Damon (Damon's) Mound, a limestone formation that rises 146 feet above the surrounding terrain, is just west of Damon and State Highway 36 in northwestern Brazoria County (at 29°17' N, 95°45' W). The mile-long mound runs east-west and is 600 to 800 yards wide; it covers 3,000 acres. Abraham Darst obtained a land grant for the area from the Mexican government. The mound was later part of the Damon estate for forty years (see DAMON, SAMUEL), after it was obtained through marriage with a member of the Darst family. Damon Mound has served as a source of limestone, and mineral springs at the site were once used for medicinal purposes.
Clarence Wharton, Wharton's History of Fort Bend County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1939).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DAMON MOUND," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rxd01), accessed December 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.