SHANNON MEDICAL CENTER
SHANNON MEDICAL CENTER. The Shannon Medical Center at San Angelo began when John Moore Shannon and his wife, Margaret Alexandrina (Campbell), who moved to San Angelo in 1893, agreed to bequeath their estate for the establishment of a hospital. Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital grew out of a fifteen-bed facility, the San Angelo Physicians and Surgeons Hospital, established on November 21, 1923, by physicians H. P. Rush and W. F. Chambers. The hospital was subsequently acquired by the Baptist Church, which operated it until the Great Depression years. Margaret Shannon died in 1931, and the Shannon trustees purchased the facility in early 1932 and in April renamed it Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital. The hospital grew from thirty-one to 231 beds, and by 1990 had become the major health-care provider within a fifteen-county region comprising 180,000 residents. Its school of nursing graduated 570 registered nurses between 1932 and 1968. In 1987, to reflect the increasing size and scale of care offered by the facility, the hospital was renamed Shannon Medical Center. Shannon conducts teaching programs in association with colleges and universities in San Angelo, Abilene, and Wichita Falls and provides clinical training for RNs and LVNs, respiratory, occupational, and physical therapists, medical-record technicians, radiographers, and hospital chaplains.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "SHANNON MEDICAL CENTER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/sbs09), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.