Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

TEXAS STATE GEOLOGICAL AND SCIENTIFIC ASSOCIATION

TEXAS STATE GEOLOGICAL AND SCIENTIFIC ASSOCIATION. The Texas State Geological and Scientific Association was incorporated on October 13, 1884. According to a notice in Texas Farm and Ranch, December 1, 1884, it had been organized "and incorporated for the purpose of collecting information in regard to the geology, mineralogy and natural history of Texas, the promotion and encouragement of scientific study and investigation among the people of the state, and the establishment of a museum where the information obtained and specimens collected will be open to the citizens of the State and those who desire to immigrate to it." This organization, sometimes called The Houston Academy of Science, was founded by Edwin Theodore Dumble, one of the original Palestinian members of Yoakum's Academy and one of the founders and president in 1893–94 of the Texas Academy of Scienceqv. The main purpose of the association seems to have been to act as a lobbying organization for a geological and mineralogical survey of Texas, for which a bill was passed in 1888 and of which Dumble was appointed director. He hired as assistants the men who had helped in the lobbying. The association published a journal titled Geological and Scientific Bulletin during 1886 and 1888–92. Thereafter nothing more was heard of the organization.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Walter Keene Linscott Ferguson, Geology and Politics in Frontier Texas, 1845–1909 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1969). Ethel Ward-McLemore, "The Academies of Science of Texas, 1880–1987," Texas Journal of Science 41 (August 1989, suppl.).

Ethel Ward-McLemore

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Ethel Ward-McLemore, "TEXAS STATE GEOLOGICAL AND SCIENTIFIC ASSOCIATION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/snt05), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.