ORIGINAL BURKETT PECAN
ORIGINAL BURKETT PECAN. In the fall of 1900 two young sons of J. H. Burkett, Omar and Joe, found nuts from the parent of the original Burkett pecan tree. When the boys told their father they found the pecans in a squirrel nest, he urged them to return and find the tree that bore them. After some searching they found the parent tree growing on the south bank of Battle Fish Creek, Callahan County, and obtained some bud-wood, which their father grafted to a second-growth seedling. Although only two buds grew, they produced the first two nuts in 1905. In 1908 one bud was destroyed, and by 1910 the parent tree had been destroyed also. The other grafted bud grew into the tree now known as the original Burkett pecan. In the 1920s and 1930s the Burkett papershell pecan was the most popular variety of pecan because of its thin shell, unusual flavor, and large size. The Burkett pecan was officially named for its breeder by the Texas Nut Growers Association at a meeting in Waco. In 1966 the Texas Historical Commission placed a marker at the site of the tree. The original Burkett pecan is located on the north side of Interstate 20 one-half mile east of Farm Road 880, near the Eastland-Callahan county line.
John A. Haislet, ed., Famous Trees of Texas (College Station: Texas Forest Service, 1970; 3d ed. 1984). Houston Chronicle, March 9, 1969.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John A. Haislet, "ORIGINAL BURKETT PECAN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/tpo03), accessed November 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.