BLACK'S FORT. Black's Fort, on the South San Gabriel River in eastern Burnet County, was named for William Black, who built it in 1851, reportedly to protect local settlers from Indian raids. It consisted of a thick-walled stone house and a springhouse within a stone and wood stockade and served as a residence and a storage place for supplies and ammunition. It saw little defense service, however, as most of the raids occurred in the western part of the county near Fort Croghan. The building supposedly served as a fort until 1868. Thereafter it continued to be used as a residence. In 1936 the Texas Centennial Commission placed a marker on the site. In the latter part of the twentieth century there was some speculation that Black's Fort was not, in fact, a fort, but instead simply a residence. Possibly the structure, apparently the only stone house in the area, was called Black's Fort but had never actually served as a defense fort. As of the early 1990s there was no evidence to support or refute the claim, and the 1936 marker remained at the site.
Malvin George Bowden, History of Burnet County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BLACK'S FORT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ueb02), accessed December 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.