EDWARDS COLONY. The empresario grant of Haden Edwardsqv, given in a contract on April 15, 1825, was bounded by a line that began at the intersection of the coast and border reservations (ten leagues from the sea and twenty leagues from the Sabine River) and ran north to fifteen leagues from Nacogdoches, thence west to the Navasota River, south in an irregular line along the Navasota, the Old San Antonio Road, and the San Jacinto River to the line of the coast reservation, and east to the point of beginning. Its bounds included Nacogdoches and touched the East Texas area where squatters had been settled for two generations without benefit of title. Conflicting land claims, a mixture of races, and assorted crimes and misdemeanors were characteristic of the area. Edwards had introduced some fifty families before May 22, 1826, when his difficulties with previously established settlers caused him to leave the province and led to the Fredonian Rebellion.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Eugene C. Barker, The Life of Stephen F. Austin (Nashville: Cokesbury Press, 1925; rpt., Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1949; New York: AMS Press, 1970). R. C. Donhano, The History of Nacogdoches and Haden Edwards Colony: A Study in the Spanish and Mexican Colonization in Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Oklahoma, 1929). Jordan Holt, The Edwards Empresarial Grant and the Fredonia Rebellion (M.A. thesis, Stephen F. Austin State University, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Curtis Bishop, "EDWARDS COLONY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/uee01), accessed January 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.