TUMLINSON FORT. Tumlinson Fort, also known as the Tumlinson blockhouse, was on the headwaters of Brushy Creek in what is now Williamson County. It was established by John J. Tumlinson, Jr., and his company of Texas Rangersqv. Following his commission as a captain in the Rangers by the provisional government of Texas in 1835, he took his company of sixty men to what is now Williamson County. The government had charged Tumlinson's company with the patrolling and protecting of Anglo-American settlements in the area. Tumlinson's men built a small fort in 1836 on the headwaters of Brushy Creek. The Tumlinson blockhouse was the first Anglo-American post in Williamson County. Upon hearing the news that Antonio López de Santa Anna had invaded, the company abandoned the post to go fight the Mexican army. In 1837, Noah Smithwick, one of the original Rangers, traveled by the post on a scouting mission and discovered that it had been burned by Indians. In 1936 the Texas Centennial Commission placed a marker on U.S. Highway 183 near the original site of the fort.
Mary Starr Barkley, A History of Central Texas (Austin: Austin Printing, 1970). Jane H. DiGesualdo and Karen R. Thompson, Historical Round Rock, Texas (Austin: Eakin Press, 1985). Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973). Noah Smithwick, The Evolution of a State, or Recollections of Old Texas Days (Austin: Gammel, 1900; rpt., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Karen R. Thompson, "TUMLINSON FORT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/uet05), accessed December 20, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.