NUESTRA SENORA DE GUADALUPE DE LOS NACOGDOCHES MISSION
NUESTRA SEÑORA DE GUADALUPE DE LOS NACOGDOCHES MISSION. Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de los Nacogdoches Mission was founded by the Domingo Ramón expedition in a village of the Nacogdoches Indians on July 9, 1716. Ramón placed Father Antonio Margil de Jesús, president of the Zacatecan missionaries in Texas (see COLLEGE OF NUESTRA SEÑORA DE GUADALUPE DE ZACATECAS), in charge of the mission. The mission was abandoned temporarily in 1719 because of a French invasion of Texas, but it was the first Zacatecan mission to be restored by the Marqués de Aguayo in 1721. At that time Margil appointed Fray José Rodríguez resident missionary. The mission was unsuccessful in its goal of converting the local Indians, but it did provide an important presence to offset the French influence. In 1773 it was permanently abandoned after the cession of Louisiana to Spain by the French. Its deserted buildings formed a nucleus for the settlement of Nacogdoches by Antonio Gil Ibarvo in 1779.
Robert Bruce Blake, "Location of the Spanish Missions and Presidios in Nacogdoches County," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 41 (January 1938). Carlos E. Castañeda, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas (7 vols., Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1936–58; rpt., New York: Arno, 1976). Charles W. Hackett, "The Marquis of San Miguel de Aguayo and His Recovery of Texas from the French, 1719–1723," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 49 (October 1945). Archie P. McDonald, Texas (Austin: Eakin Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Bruce Blake, "NUESTRA SENORA DE GUADALUPE DE LOS NACOGDOCHES MISSION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/uqn02), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.