SAN FRANCISCO DE LOS NECHES MISSION
SAN FRANCISCO DE LOS NECHES MISSION. San Francisco de los Neches was the name given to Nuestro Padre San Francisco de los Tejas Mission when it was moved and reestablished in 1721 by the Marqués de Aguayo and Fray Isidro Félix de Espinosa, president of the Texas missions of the College of Santa Cruz de Querétaro. The new site of the mission was east of the Neches River, six miles west of the site of present Alto in Cherokee County. Father Joseph Guerra was appointed resident missionary. In 1730, after the abandonment of Nuestra Señora de los Dolores de los Tejas Presidio, the mission was removed at the request of the missionaries to the Colorado River in the vicinity of present Zilker Park, Austin. In 1731 it was moved to its final location on the San Antonio River and renamed San Francisco de la Espada Mission.
Carlos E. Castañeda, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas (7 vols., Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1936–58; rpt., New York: Arno, 1976). Charles W. Hackett, "The Marquis of San Miguel de Aguayo and His Recovery of Texas from the French, 1719–1723," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 49 (October 1945).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SAN FRANCISCO DE LOS NECHES MISSION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/uqs14), accessed March 08, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.