MINA MUNICIPALITY. Stephen F. Austin established the District of Mina as part of his colonization efforts in 1826 and presumably named it after Spanish military leader Francisco Xavier Mina. Eight years later the government of Coahuila and Texas sought to establish better control over its burgeoning colonies by establishing the Mina Municipality. This municipality encompassed not only part of Austin's colony but a great deal of Central Texas. Scholars disagree as to the exact location of the municipality; Zachary T. Fulmore believed the municipality included all or part of the following present-day counties: Bastrop, Blanco, Brown, Burnet, Callahan, Coleman, Comal, Eastland, Fayette, Gillespie, Hamilton, Hays, Lampasas, Lavaca, Lee, Mills, Runnels, Taylor, and Travis. At the time the municipality was formed, only a limited portion of its eastern area was actually settled. The government made the fledgling town of Bastrop in present Bastrop County the capital of the municipality and renamed it Mina; the name was later changed back. On January 8, 1836, a small eastern section was removed from Mina's boundaries. Two months later, on March 17, the Convention of 1836 made the vast municipality a county. In 1837 the Congress of the Republic of Texas changed the county name to Bastrop in honor of the Baron de Bastrop, and over the next few years new counties and portions of counties were carved out of the former municipality.
Zachary T. Fulmore, History and Geography of Texas As Told in County Names (Austin: Steck, 1915; facsimile, 1935). William Henry Korges, Bastrop County, Texas: Historical and Educational Development (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933). WPA Texas Historical Records Survey, Inventory of the County Archives of Texas (MS, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paula Mitchell Marks, "MINA MUNICIPALITY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/usm02), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.