DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION. The Texas Society of the Daughters of the American Revolutionwas organized in 1900 with five chapters. The membership in 1992 was 17,000 in 184 chapters. Each chapter has officers and committees to correspond to those on the state and national levels. To be eligible for membership a woman must be at least eighteen years of age and be descended from a man or woman who, with unfailing loyalty, rendered aid to the cause of American independence. The purpose of the society is to perpetuate the memory and spirit of the men and women who achieved American independence, to promote the general diffusion of knowledge, to cherish, maintain, and extend the institutions of American freedom, and to foster true patriotism and love of country. During the first half of the twentieth century the Texas Society contributed to national building projects, and during World War II it helped with plasma drives and fund-raising for the Red Cross and United Service Organization. Important state projects included marking the Old San Antonio Road with granite markers at five-mile intervals along 600 miles of the trail in 1920. The Texas Society was also active in the Texas Centennial and continues to emphasize preservation of historic monuments and landmarks. Outstanding among the many phases of the society are scholarships given to various schools and universities, the Junior American Citizen clubs, the Good Citizen program, the national defense material available from the National Society in Washington, D.C., and manuals for citizenship, written in eighteen different languages and used by foreigners in becoming citizens of the United States.
History of the Texas Society, National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution (N.p.: Texas Society, DAR, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Marie B. Horn, "DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/vnd01), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.