BROWN FOUNDATION. The Brown Foundation, in Houston, Texas, was established in 1951 by Margarett and Herman Brown and Alice and George R. Brown as a nonprofit charitable foundation. In 1962 the Browns gave additional resources to the foundation; in 1963, after their deaths, the estate of Margarett and Herman Brown was given to the Brown Foundation. All funds donated to the foundation and income generated from these funds are to be used for public charitable purposes, principally for support, encouragement, and assistance to the arts and education. From 1951 to 1985 the Brown Foundation awarded grants in excess of $185 million to artistic, educational, medical, and other charitable organizations. The affairs of the foundation are managed by a board of trustees composed of ten members, nine of whom are related either by blood, adoption, or marriage to one of the four original donors.
The Hooper Directory of Texas Foundations.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Katherine B. Dobelman, "BROWN FOUNDATION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/vrb01), accessed October 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.