HILLCREST FOUNDATION. The Hillcrest Foundation of Dallas was founded in 1957 by Mrs. W. W. Caruth, Sr. (Earle Clark Caruth), to provide financial support to qualified charitable organizations in Texas for the advancement of education, the promotion of health, and the relief of poverty. She was related to a pioneer family who had settled in North Texas in 1848. Over several generations, the Caruth family purchased land, owned and managed farms and ranches, and later developed the properties as Dallas grew into a major metropolitan area. The Hillcrest Foundation was established to carry on the tradition of Caruth family generosity and their legacy of support to the people of Texas. In 2005 the trustees of the Hillcrest Foundation included the founder's grandsons, D. Harold Byrd, Jr., and W. W. "Bill" Caruth III. In 2004 the Foundation reported assets in excess of $145 million and distributed 155 grants totaling more than $6 million.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HILLCREST FOUNDATION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/vrh04), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.