MOODY FOUNDATION. The Moody Foundation was established under a trust indenture dated August 22, 1942, by William Lewis Moody, Jr., and his wife, Libbie Shearn Moody, as a private charitable foundation for the benefit of the people of Texas. After Moody's death his daughter, Mary Moody Northen, was chairman of the board until her death (1986). During the foundation's early years, it contributed largely to local charities. In 1960, when the bulk of Moody's estate was transferred to the corpus of the foundation, it began operating as a major philanthropic organization making grants throughout the state of Texas. The foundation gives grants to qualifying organizations in the areas of education, health, arts and humanities, physical life and social sciences, religion, and community and social services. In recent years, special emphasis has been given to historical restoration, the performing arts, and medical research. Additionally, the Moody Foundation has also begun to identify needs not previously addressed and has initiated projects and programs in response. These foundation-initiated projects include Shearn Moody Plaza, the renovated Santa Fe Railroad Station now being used as an office building for nonprofit organizations in Galveston; the Center for Transportation and Commerce, a "hands-on" museum depicting the role railroads and other forms of transportation played in the development of Galveston; the Transitional Learning Community, a residential treatment facility where persons who have suffered head injuries are assisted in making the transition from traditional therapy programs to a more productive place in society; and the Robert L. Moody Community House, a facility that houses an outpatient recreational program for the handicapped in Galveston County. In addition, the foundation provides two scholarship programs to assist Galveston County students in furthering their education. Other projects include the Hope Arena, a therapeutic equestrian center, and the Moody Botanical Gardens. From 1960 through 1984, the foundation committed more than $143 million. By the mid-1980s foundation assets were in excess of $320 million. See also HOPE THERAPY AT MOODY GARDENS.
The House of Moody (publication of the Moody Club, Galveston), 1954.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert E. Baker, "MOODY FOUNDATION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/vrm06), accessed May 26, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.