SAN ANTONIO HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
SAN ANTONIO HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION. The San Antonio Historical Association was organized for the purpose of promoting the study and appreciation of the history of Texas with special emphasis on San Antonio and its environs. It operates under a state charter approved on February 15, 1940. Fifty-two charter members joined. Joseph William Schmitz was the association's first president. Although the association has no publications of its own, in 1947 it received the publications of the Yanaguana Society upon that organization's dissolution.
The business of the association is transacted by a board of five directors who are elected annually and include the president, vice president, and secretary-treasurer. Regular meetings are held on the third Friday of January, February, March, May, September, October, and November of each year. After functioning for a time with no regular meetingplace, the association adopted the Cos House in La Villita as a permanent assembly place. By the 1970s the association was meeting in Alamo Hall, and in the 1980s and early 1990s the meetingplace was the Fort Sam Houston Officer's Club. At each meeting a book on Texas is given as an attendance prize, and during the years quite a library of Texana has been given away. At regular meetings papers are presented that focus primarily on local topics of historical interest, although subject matter pertaining to the entire Southwest is acceptable. Though most speakers are business and professional persons engaged in historical research as an avocation, participation by professors and graduate students from local universities has increased. Speakers have brought to life again such figures as William Sydney Porter (O. Henry), George Washington Littlefield, James Stephen Hogg, Abel Head (Shanghai) Pierce, Sterling C. Robertson, King Fisher, Federico Zerván, Samuel Maverick, Mrs. Amelia Barr, and Asa Mitchell.