HI-FLYERS. The Hi-Flyers was an early and significant western swing band that was organized in 1929 as the High Fliers in Fort Worth by Zack Hurt, a radio personality on KFJZ. Kentucky fiddler Clifford Gross was among the original lineup that played a repertoire that included primarily waltzes, breakdowns, and pop selections.
Various personnel changes and new musical influences redirected the ensemble’s focus, and the group would evolve into one of the earliest string bands in Texas that incorporated jazz improvisations into its performances. The band changed its name to Hi-Flyers by 1932, and guitarist Elmer Scarborough established himself as the leader. In 1936 other band members left and formed the Sons of the West out of Amarillo. In 1937 the Hi-Flyers recorded for Vocalion. The sessions included newer members Billy Braggs on steel guitar, Darrell Kirkpatrick on fiddle, and Landon Beaver, a jazz pianist.
The group was based out of Eagle Pass for a brief period from 1937 into 1938 before regrouping in Oklahoma City in 1939. From 1939 to 1941 the Hi-Flyers made more recordings that reflected western swing influences along with honky-tonk themes. By this time Buster Ferguson was the vocalist, and Sheldon Bennett played electric guitar. The Hi-Flyers disbanded with the onslaught of World War II and only reformed briefly after the war before permanently calling it quits in 1946.
The Texas Rose label released an anthology of their recordings, The Hi-Flyers, 1937–41, in 1982.
Paul Kingsbury, ed., The Encyclopedia of Country Music: The Ultimate Guide to the Music (New York: Oxford University Press, 1998). Western Swing on 78: Hi-Flyers (http://westernswing78.blogspot.com/2007/03/hi-flyers.html), accessed July 13, 2011.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "HI-FLYERS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/xgh04), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on October 18, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.