TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL COACHES ASSOCIATION
TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL COACHES ASSOCIATION. The Texas High School Coaches Association was founded in 1929 by coaches Johnnie Pierce (Corsicana), Jesse Kellam (Lufkin), and Jimmie Kitts (Athens) and was originally known as the Texas High School Football Coaches Association. Although participation was minimal during the first several years, the association began to flourish in 1933, when Dana X. Bible, former Texas A&M coach, consented to lecture at the association's first annual coaching clinic. The purpose of the organization was to raise coaching standards and put the game of football on a more wholesome basis. In appreciation of this goal, the state's high schools responded by making coaches part of the teaching profession. By 1941 the association had so grown in importance, scope, and accomplishments that the word "football" was dropped from its title and all major sports were included. In 1942 it hired a paid executive secretary, and in 1949 a professional publicist was added to the staff. In 1956 the association opened a permanent office in the Perry Brooks Building in Austin and established the first full-time executive vice president to handle the business affairs of the association. An assistant executive vice president was established in 1967. In January 1975 the association moved to its own office building, and in November 1992 it relocated to a larger building near downtown Austin. In the early 1990s the membership was over 11,500, making it the largest such organization in the United States. The association uses its economic resources for insurance for those junior high school or high school athletes killed or injured in University Interscholastic League events and provides death benefits for deceased coaches. Since 1957 the association has published its own magazine, Texas Coach, which is provided to all of its members. The association also sponsors annual All-Star football and basketball games.