Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

CAMP MYSTIC

CAMP MYSTIC. Camp Mystic is a summer camp for girls on the South Fork of the Guadalupe River three miles southwest of Hunt in central Kerr County. It was established in 1926 by E. J. (Doc) Stewart, former head football coach at the University of Texas, who had founded Camp Stewart for boys in the same area two years earlier. Camp Mystic, known originally as Stewart's Camp for Girls, provided facilities for outdoor activities and instruction in roping, marksmanship, music, painting, and drama. In 1937 the camp was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Gilespie Stacy and in 1968 was owned by a group of investors that included Stacy family members. The camp has remained in continuous operation since its founding, except for the years 1943–45, when it was leased by the federal government as a convalescent camp for army air corps veterans of World War II.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Frank R. Gilliland, Kerrville, Texas: A Social and Economic History (M.A. thesis, Stephen F. Austin State College, 1951). Kerrville Daily Times, February 25, 1968.

Rebecca J. Herring

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Rebecca J. Herring, "CAMP MYSTIC," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/xvc01), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.