SUNNY GLEN CHILDREN'S HOME
SUNNY GLEN CHILDREN'S HOME. Sunny Glen Home, sponsored by the Church of Christ as a refuge for dependent children, was organized in 1936. After operating for a short time in Mercedes, the school purchased facilities on ten acres near San Juan. The home cared for an average of thirty-five children per year until 1949. Because the surrounding land was planted in expensive citrus groves and there was no available land for raising food for the institution, the home was moved to an eighty-acre facility near San Benito. Under the directorship of the elders of the San Benito Church of Christ, the home was renamed Sunny Glen Children's Home. Starting in the early 1960s the home made major improvements in the quality of its residential care. Nevertheless, its population steadily declined from a high of 120 children housed in six dormitories. In 1973 the home added foster care and adoption to its services. Though all of Sunny Glen's programs are regulated by the Texas Department of Human Resources, the home does not accept financial aid from any government agency. It is completely funded by contributions from Churches of Christ and friends, and it accepts children without regard to their race or religion. The home offers children opportunities in education, career training, athletics, and social activities.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ed Moore, "SUNNY GLEN CHILDREN'S HOME," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/yns05), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.