republic. The establishment of the Federalist headquarters over a hundred miles north of the Río Grande, together with the presence of Mexican troops -- even Federalists -- on the soil of Texas, aroused a strong feeling in Texas that this was "too bold and daring an invasion of the territory of Texas to be passed by without animadversion from our government." The establishment of an alien government within the boundary claimed by Texas was a clear indication that the Federal party considered the area between the Nueces and the Río Grande as falling within the boundaries of Tamaulipas. It is, pointed out the editor of the Houston Morning Star,
. . . the first step towards actual possession, and is a most gross and glaring invasion, which to submit to, would be courting insult and injury. . . . The fact, that the principles professed by the Federalists are more liberal than those of their opponents, is no reason why we should silently suffer them to dispossess us of our territory, and occupy with their seat of government the delightful part of our country. Were they worthy of the enjoyment of freedom and liberal institutions (which, by the way, we very much doubt), they would find some other means of acquiring them, than the invasion and possession of a soil friendly to their cause. . . . If the miserable Mexican soldier under Canales possessed a tythe of the spirit which nerves a freeman's arm -- when striking for his rights, Matamoros, Tampico, Monterey, and all the towns this side of the mountains would have been in their power long before this. They are too imbecile, indolent, and cowardly, even to make good their independence even against such opponents as they have to contend with; and instead of calling for aid, as they are continually doing, they should be taught that the gods help those only who are willing to help themselves.
Cornelius Van Ness, congressman from San Antonio, thought otherwise.
Mission San Lorenzo de la Santa Cruz; i.e., El Cañon). It now lies between Crystal City and Carrizo Springs on the border of Dimmit and Zavala counties. It was fed by numerous small streams, and possibly at one time even by the Nueces River. It was a famous camping spot for the Indians traversing the vicinity. The camino real between Presidio del Río Grande and San Antonio used to skirt the lower end of the Lake. Cyrus Tilloson, "Espantosa Lake," in Frontier Times, XXVI, (1948-1949), 132-135; J. Frank Dobie, Coronado's Children: Tales of Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of the Southwest, pp. 62, 68.
5. Telegraph and Texas Register (Houston), April 8, 1840.
6. From the Morning Star (Houston), in Telegraph and Texas Register, April 8, 1840.