Students, you are the stars of the show. You are the competitors who have to perform to a high standard at the school level, form a team and move on to the state finals. It’s up to you, not your teachers or your parents, to learn all you can about Texas – and have fun at the same time.
If your school already participates in the Texas Quiz Show, here are some ways to prepare for the Texas Quiz Show:
- If you haven’t done it already, take the Texas Quiz Show Practice Quiz.
- Get together with your friends and quiz each other with questions from your Texas history textbook. Don’t be too hard or too easy on one another. The main thing is to have fun.
- Explore an area of Texas that you don’t know much about. Some of the topic areas to investigate are:
- Texas weather
- Texas sports
- Texas music
- Texas business
- Texans in the news
- Explore these topics by visiting your school or local library and asking your librarian for books or magazines on these topics. Spend some time flipping through the books and learning about your state.
- If you have access to a computer and the internet either at school or at home, type these topics into Google or another search engine and see what comes up. You’ll be surprised at what you learn.
- Spend time searching for people, places and things on the Handbook of Texas Online. The Handbook is the ultimate source for all questions used in the Texas Quiz Show.
- Ask at your school library if there is a historical association in your area. If there is, see if you can attend a meeting. Introduce yourself at the meeting and tell them that you are participating in the Texas Quiz Show and want to learn about your own local history. Try to write five questions about your local area after attending the meeting.
If you would like to share your discoveries with the Texas Quiz Show, please contact Steve Cure at SteveCure@TSHAonline.org.
If your school does not yet participate in the Texas Quiz Show, and you would like to find out how to get started, please contact Kate O'Donnell at KateODonnell@TSHAonline.org.