CLARKSVILLE, THEN AND NOW --
As heretofore stated, the town of Clarksville was chartered under the Republic of Texas, December, 1837, under President Burnet. The inhabitants of Clarksville numbered then only six hundred and Clarksville did not reach the required population to be classed as a city until 1870, when her population reached one thousand. In the early forties there were just a few business houses on East Main in what is now the Main Hotel block. The first mercantile house was a room adjoining the residence of James Clark, the founder of Clarksville. Sidewalks and paved streets were not then in existence.
The first courthouse was erected on the public square, chiefly made of
logs and was built by Gilbert Clark and others. It answered the purposes
|*Personnel of the City government at the present time is as follows:|
|W. P. Cornelius, Mayor||ALDERMEN|
N. H. McCulloch, City Clerk|
Dr. Nowlin Watson, Health Officer
B. F. Edwards, City Atty.
O. W. McBryde, City Treas.
J. P. West
W. C. Hamilton